The BMW S 1000 XR.
Discover the world. FASTER THAN EVER.
The motorcycle with the dynamic performance of a racer, the upright seat position of an adventure machine and the endurance of a tourer. The BMW S 1000 XR combines the best aspects of all of these worlds to create BMW Motorrad's first adventure sports bike: perfect for anyone who wants performance and comfort in one machine.
- Strong-charactered front: The RR split face highlights the fact that this is firmly rooted in the sporting segment.
- Upside-Down Fork: Reminiscent of the BMW Motorrad GS family and ensures high agility.
- Multifunction instrument cluster: Everything at a glance: the displays are aligned entirely for precise and swift acknowledgement of information - including shift light.
- Attention to detail: The rubber coating atop the tank protects from unsightly scratches.
- Adjustable windscreen: Provides assured comfort even at high speeds.
- Ergonomically designed seat: Ensures riding pleasure even on long routes.
- Cast aluminum wheels with an angled valve stem: Dynamic 10-spoke wheels made of die-cast aluminum.
- Strikingly designed rear exhaust: Enables freedom when it comes to leaning in turns, and allows the attachment of two side cases.
- Type: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke in-line 4-cylinder engine, four valves per cylinder, double overhead camshafts, wet sump lubrication
- Bore x stroke: 80 mm x 49.7 mm
- Capacity: 999 cc
- Rated output: 165 hp (121 kW) at 11,000 rpm
- Max. torque: 84 lb-ft (114 Nm) at 9,250 rpm
- Compression ratio: 12.0:1
- Mixture control / engine management: Electronic fuel injection with ride-by-wire throttle system and knock sensor
- Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-4
Performance / Fuel Consumption
- Maximum speed: Over 125 mph
- Fuel consumption: 35 mpg (WMTC)
- Fuel type: Premium Unleaded
- Alternator: Three-phase 486 W generator
- Battery: 12 V / 8 Ah, maintenance-free
- Clutch: Multi-disc clutch in oil bath, anti-hopping clutch, mechanically operated
- Gearbox: Constant-mesh 6-speed gearbox with straight cut gears
- Drive: Chain 2.647:1
Chassis / Brakes
- Frame: Aluminum composite bridge frame, partially self supporting engine
- Front wheel location / suspension: Upside-down telescopic fork, Ø 46 mm, compression and rebound stage adjustable
- Rear wheel location / suspension: Aluminum 2-sided swing arm, rebound damping adjustable
- Suspension travel front / rear: 5.9" / 5.5" (150 mm / 140 mm)
- Wheelbase: 61.0" (1,548 mm)
- Castor: 4.6" (117 mm)
- Steering head angle: 64.5°
- Wheels: Cast aluminum wheels
- Rim, front: 3.50 x 17"
- Rim, rear: 6.00 x 17"
- Tires, front: 120/70 ZR 17
- Tires, rear: 190/55 ZR 17
- Brake, front: Dual floating disc brakes, 4-piston fixed calipers, diameter 320 mm
- Brake, rear: Single disc brake, diameter 265 mm, dual- piston floating caliper
- ABS: BMW Motorrad Race ABS (part-integral, can be switched off)
Dimensions / Weights
- Length: 86.0" (2,183 mm)
- Width (incl. mirrors): 37.0" (940 mm)
- Height (excl. mirrors): 55.5" (1,408 mm)
- Seat height, unladen weight: HP Sports Seat (high): 33.7", Standard Seat: 33.1", HP Sports Seat: 33.1", Low Seat: 32.3", Low Suspension Kit: 31.1" [Style HP; HP Sports Seat (high): 33.7", Standard Seat: 33.1", Low Seat: 32.3", Low Suspension Kit w/ HP Sports Seat: 31.9", Low Suspension Kit w/ Low Seat: 31.1"]
- Inner leg curve, unladen weight: HP Sports Seat (high): 75.8", Standard Seat: 74.6", HP Sports Seat: 74.6", Low Seat: 73.2", Low Suspension Kit: 70.5" [Style HP; HP Sports Seat (high): 75.8", Standard Seat: 74.6", Low Seat: 73.2", Low Suspension Kit w/ HP Sports Seat: 72.4", Low Suspension Kit w/ Low Seat: 70.5"]
- Unladen weight, road ready, fuly fueled: 503 lbs (228 kg)
- Permitted total weight: 979 lbs (444 kg)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 476 lbs (216 kg)
- Usable tank volume: 5.2 gal (20 l)
- Reserve: Approx. 1 gal (4.0 l)
- 2 Ride Modes (Rain/Road)
- ABS (Disengageable)
- Adjustable Rear Suspension Spring Preload
- Adjustable Rear Shock Absorber Rebound
- Adjustable Windshield
- Anti-Hopping Clutch
- LED Tail Light
- ASC (Automatic Stability Control)
- Multifunction Display
- Power Socket
- Radial Front Brakes
- Smoked Grey Turn Signal Lenses
- Upside-Down Forks
Unladen Weight as defined in EU directive 93/93/EEC, filled with all operating fluids, fuelled to at least 90% of usable tank capacity.
Images of the motorcycle on this website may show equipment that is optional or only available in Europe.